Practice Areas

Employment / Labor

We represent City of Laredo employees, Laredo Police Officers (LPOA ), Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, Webb County Sheriff's Deputies, Webb County Employees as well as employees of private companies in exercising and protecting their rights in all types of employment cases, specifically in Sexual Harassment, Retaliation, and Hostile Work Environment cases.

Criminal Defense

Advocate for citizens and aliens charged with all types of State and federal crimes including drug possession/distribution, DWI, murder, sexual assault, indecency with minors, etc…


Litigate cases on behalf of home owners who have been victims of flooding and poor development and construction workmanship as well as representing our corporate clients against claims.

Construction / Development

Representing home and business owners against builders, developers, mortgage companies, surveyors, and engineers for the defects of their homes and commercial properties due to breach of warranties, flooding, and poor workmanship.


Our firm currently represents the Laredo Housing Authority as their General Counsel wherein we assist them with a variety of legal services ranging from litigation, contracts, employment matters, open records requests and Housing and Urban Development compliance.


There are various non-immigrant visas available. A non-immigrant visa is a temporary visa, which allows you to enter the United States and stay in the United States for a specified period of time, depending on which visa is granted. Listed below are the most commonly used along with some basic information about them.

Visitor Visa:
The initial period of stay is 1-6 months; however it can be extended for an additional 6 months. Maximum period allowed is 1 year.

B1- Visitor for Business
B2- Visitor for Pleasure

Visa Waivers are also available for those people who are coming into the United States from one of the participating countries. For more information clink on the link below.

International Students

F-1- Foreign student studying at an approved U.S. school
M-1- Vocational student studying at approved U.S. school
OPT- Optional Practical Training

Temporary Workers requiring a Bachelor’s Degree
H-1B- Specialty occupation (Maximum period of stay is 6 year)
TN NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) principal employee (granted for one year at a time)
TN-1- Canada
TN-1- Mexico

Intracompany Transferees
L-1A- Executive or upper level managerial transferee of a U.S. company (Maximum period of stay is 7 years)
L-1B- Specialized knowledge transferee of U.S. company (Maximum period of stay is 6 years)

Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors

E-1- Substantial trade between U.S. and country of nationality
E-2- Substantial investment in the U.S.

Fiancés and Spouses of U.S. Citizens
K-1- Fiancé of U.S. Citizen
K-3- Spouse of U.S. Citizen


There are various ways to get an immigrant visa (permanent residence) in the United States. The most common are employment based or family based.

Employment Based
Employment Based immigrants must qualify for one of the following five preference categories:

First Preference: Priority Workers
• EB-1(1): Extraordinary Ability
• EB-1(2): Outstanding Professors and Researchers
• EB-1(3): Certain multinational executives and managers

Second Preference: Professionals holding advanced degrees or persons of Exceptional Ability
• EB-2 (1): Advanced Degree
• EB-2 (2): Exceptional Ability

Third Preference: Professionals and Skilled Workers
• EB-3 (1): Skilled Workers
• EB-3 (2): Professionals Holding a Bachelor’s Degree

Fourth Preference: Religious Workers
• EB-4: Religious Workers

Fifth Preference: Investors
• EB-5: Employment Creation Investors

Family Based
Family based petitions are based on the familial relationship to a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident

First Preference: (F1)Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens

Second Preference: (F2) Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents

Third Preference: (F3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens

Fourth Preference: (F4) Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens

Priority Dates:
The date on which a petition is filed by or on behalf of an immigrant becomes that person’s priority date as soon as the petition is approved. For family based immigrants, this is the date on which the sponsoring relative files the petition. For employment-based petitions that require labor certification, the priority date is the date that a labor certification request is filed with the Department of Labor; when no labor certification is required, the priority date is the date that the employer or immigrant files the petition.

Depending on the immigrant’s preference category, country of origin and priority date, he or she could be able to immigrate immediately, or could have to wait many years for the priority date to become current. Below is the link to the Visa Bulletin which illustrates what priority date is current, depending on the country of origin and the preference category.

Call Today for a Consultation (956) 725-4400

Our Info

Altgelt Law Office
219 E. Del Mar, Ste. 2
Laredo, Texas 78045

Office: 956 725-4400

Fax: 956 725-4401


Quick Contact